19 September 2024

Was the Attack on Hezbollah a Kiddush Hashem?

16 Elul 5784

I have to ask myself, because while my first reaction to the initial news was a resounding "YES!", I understand that many others would not agree with my assessment.

When I asked myself this question today, my answer is still "YES!."  I believe it was and I'll explain why. 

I don't think it's fair to say Israel is bragging about its own success when it's actually not taking any credit at all, although no one is actually crediting Hashem either.   I also don't think it's fair to compare how the Muslims, or the Chr*stians for that matter, have the habit of using their god's name on every occasion with our perceived lack of giving open credit to Hashem.  For us, His Name is sacred.  There is a time and a place. 

His Name is proclaimed at every mention of IsraEl.  That's how we make chillul Hashem through our deeds as well as kiddush Hashem.

...And they entered the nations where they came, and they profaned My Holy Name, inasmuch as it was said of them, 'These are the people of the Lord, and they have come out of His land.'

But I had pity on My Holy Name, which the house of Israel had profaned among the nations to which they had come.

Therefore, say to the house of Israel; So says the Lord God: Not for your sake do I do this, O house of Israel, but for My Holy Name, which you have profaned among the nations to which they have come.

And I will sanctify My great Name, which was profaned among the nations, which you have profaned in their midst; and the nations shall know that I am the Lord - is the declaration of the Lord God - when I will be sanctified through you before their eyes.  (Yechezkel 36:20 - 23)
The nations, and most particularly our enemies, are in awe today and despite our not taking credit for it, they are convinced IsraEl is the only one who could have pulled this off, because only the People of God has this kind of success.  We don't need to tell them, they just know it, just like they did in June 1967.

It's us - the Jews - who have to recognize that all of our successes come from yad Hashem.  The nations already know.

3 comments:

  1. In reply to this post on "X"...

    Israel Radar@IsraelRadar_com
    What makes Mossad so highly effective? Exceptional agents, global network, cutting-edge tech & another special ingredient...


    I wrote the following...
    Our relationship with the Master of the Universe, the fact that He is both Creator and Father to the Jews. Any success we have is a blessing from Above. We are here due to His will and we will remain when all others are gone due to His will.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jets non stop
    21:49pm

    ReplyDelete