23 August 2016

Just When You Think It Can't Get Worse...

Aug 31 Update: For whoever is interested, I never received any response from Aish.com to either my voicemail message or my email.

20 Menachem Av 5776

UPDATE: I received a prompt reply from J-TV and the offending video has been removed. I hope all involved will be much more careful in the future.
___________________________________

(H/T to Shifrah)

Following is a copy of an email I composed and sent to Aish.com and J-TV.

Shalom Webmaster,

I just left a message for you, including my phone number, on your voicemail. I am following it up now with this email. 

My name is Devorah Chayah Shem Tov and I am a Jewish blogger with a large readership. One of my readers contacted me with regard to a questionable webpage on your site. I have decided to make it the subject of my next blog post and would like to give you an opportunity to respond. I will also be contacting J-TV who it appears was the originator of the content.

This is the page in question: 

Israeli-Christian Pro-Israel Activist

Meet Hananya Naftali, a savvy 21-year-old social media activist who supports Israel.


Can you please explain to me, and to my readers, why Aish.com is featuring and giving positive coverage to an apostate Jew who is proud to proclaim himself a convert to Christianity in the Land of Israel?  We would like to know how this content is found to be consistent with the stated goals of both Aish.com and J-TV.

Someone somewhere has some explaining to do.  We'll be very interested to hear it.

Thank you for your attention to this very important matter,
Devorah Chayah Shem Tov @Tomer Devorah
_______________________________________

I'll keep you posted on what response, if any, that we receive. If you'd like to make your own views known on this subject, write to webmaster@aish.com and/or ollieanisfeld@j-tvshow.com or leave a comment here and/or here.


...An observant Jew who is a passionate believer in Jewish education, Anisfeld was wrestling with how to transmit his love of Judaism to his peers.

“It is a message poorly transmitted, if at all, so there was an apathy about Jewish identity,” Anisfeld told The Times of Israel. “My idea was to create a new, high quality, online global Jewish media channel.”

...We aim to engage both Jews and non-Jews who want to understand Jewish culture.”

2 comments:

  1. Was this on Aish?! It seems to have disappeared.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. It's still there: http://www.aish.com/jw/me/Israeli-Christian-Pro-Israel-Activist.html?s=feat

      Got this form letter back:

      Thank you for writing Aish.com.

      Your message was received and is valuable to us.

      Due to the numerous emails we receive, we are unable to respond to all individually, although we try our best.

      Thank you for your understanding.

      Wishing you and those dear to you much happiness and success.


      It will be very interesting to see if they deem my email worthy of an answer.

      Delete