13 November 2011

Surviving the End of Days

16 Cheshvan 5772

"...I [Hashem] will be relieved of my adversaries, and I shall avenge Myself of My enemies! I will turn My hand against you, until I refine your dross as with lye and I remove all your base metal. Then I will restore your judges as at first and your counselors as at the beginning; after that you will be called 'City of Righteousness,' 'Faithful City.' Zion will be redeemed through justice and those who return to her through righteousness; but calamity awaits rebels and sinners together, and those who forsake Hashem will perish;...." Isaiah 1:24-28

"Sinners were afraid in Zion, trembling seized hypocrites. 'Which of us can live with the consuming fire? Which of us can live with the eternal conflagration?' One who walks with righteousness and speaks with truthfulness, who spurns extortionate profit and shakes off his hands from holding a bribe, who seals his ears from hearing of bloodshed* and shuts his eyes from seeing evil. He shall dwell in heights; in rocky fortresses is his stronghold; his bread will be granted, his water assured." Isaiah 33:14-16

* (Radak) He does not let unsubstantiated talk incite him to bloodshed.