In six easy steps...
- Russia has a monopoly on the supply of gas to Europe.
- Europe wants out from under the Russian thumb.
- To do that, they wanted a pipeline through Syria to bring in gas from Qatar.
- Assad, also under the Russian thumb, refused to give permission, hence the West determined that Assad must go. Result: seven years of Syrian "civil war."
- Up pops Israel and says, no problem, we'll sell Europe our gas.
- The head of the Russian monster swivels towards Israel with a gleam in its eye.
Moral of this story: Do not get between Russia and her European gas market.