11 September 2016

Jews and Non-Jews: The Conclusion of the Matter

8 Elul 5776

In reality, there can be no "conclusion" of this matter until Mashiach comes, may it even be today! But, to wrap up this discussion, we need to try, I think, to understand the "why" of it. And, of course, the answers given are as varied as those who are involved in one way or another with non-Jews at this time. But, despite that, I think there is one underlying reason and if we can grasp that, we might be able to protect ourselves and others from falling prey to the same mistakes.

Here are some of the excuses reasons I have heard from different groups and their leaders about why they are in bed involved with non-Jews:
  • These non-Jews have a lot of political clout which we can harness for Israel's good.
  • They can sway Congress.
  • They can fight BDS.
  • They can be hasbara spokespersons.
  • The Jew needs to know he is not alone and that he has friends among the nations.
  • They're so nice.
  • They have some good qualities, we can learn a lot from them.
  • They don't missionize.
  • They are going to help us. 
  • We need them. 
  • We can't be redeemed without them.
There's a commonality that they all share. You can't point to one traditional halachic source to base it on. What you hear in place of sources is "I think" and "I believe". It's what makes one such person say: 
"I personally believe that everybody looks at the Torah backwards. I think that everyone looks at the Torah being about the Jewish people and I think it's just the opposite and I think rather than being about the Jewish people it's about the "ger" that you're talking about, it's about the nations, it's about bringing the nations in.... I personally believe that this message is so important, because it's what's meant to bring geulah. It's what's meant to bring redemption."
It is no less idolatrous when I set my own opinions and feelings in the place of God and His commandments than if I set up a statue of a Buddha and offered it food. Even the wisest of men - King Solomon - erred in this way, so we are certainly not invulnerable.

What it all comes down to is this: "HKB"H is not enough!" That's what they are really saying. "I can't trust HKB"H. I can't appreciate how He is running His world, so I must take matters into my own hands." But, this is a trap set by the Yetzer HaRa on behalf of his own Master, (Devarim 13:1-5)...
Everything I command you, that you shall be careful to do it. You shall neither add to it, nor subtract from it.  
If there will arise among you a prophet, or a dreamer of a dream, and he gives you a sign or a wonder, and the sign or the wonder of which he spoke to you happens, [and he] says, "Let us go after other gods which you have not known, and let us worship them," you shall not heed the words of that prophet, or that dreamer of a dream; for the Lord, your God, is testing you, to know whether you really love the Lord, your God, with all your heart and with all your soul.
You shall...
  1. follow the Lord, your God, ...
  2. fear Him, ...
  3. keep His commandments,...
  4. heed His voice,...
  5. worship Him,...
  6. and cleave to Him. 
I don't see anywhere that it says we should make alliances with the non-Jews.

All I'm trying to say is - don't fall into this trap. Mark its boundaries and warn others to avoid this trap...

What I really want to say is - HKB"H IS ENOUGH!! We don't need anyone or anything else - AYN OD MILEVADO!!!